Non-profit organizations that serve the ANC 3B community are eligible for grants from the Commission of up to $2,500 annually (measured by fiscal year, October 1 through September 30). ANC 3B has provided grants in the past to the Glover Park Citizens Association, Friends of Glover Park, DC Babe Ruth Baseball, Parent Teacher Organizations of the local schools (Stoddert, Hardy, and Wilson), DC Greens, the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, Iona Senior Services, Friendship Place, and many other deserving organizations.
Please contact us if you are a local non-profit with a project in mind to serve a public purpose in the ANC 3B community and you would like to apply for a grant. See the Commission’s grant guidelines below for more information.
- Each entity receiving a grant from ANC 3B must be a non-profit organization that is “public in nature,” and the proposed uses of the grant must benefit the Commission area and the persons who live or work within ANC 3B.
- The Commission requests that applications be presented at its regular January, April, July, or October public meetings.
- Grant applications must be submitted in writing to the Commission at least one week prior to the ANC 3B public meeting at which the grant request will be presented and considered for approval.
- The grant application must include:
a. a description of the organization requesting the grant and the nature of the services it provides to the residents of ANC3B and the surrounding community;
b. a description of the proposed project for which the grant is requested;
c. a statement of expected public benefits of the project, focusing on the benefits for individuals who live, work, go to school, shop, or use recreation facilities within ANC 3B;
d. the expected timetable for completing the proposed project;
e. the total cost of the proposed project, with a detailed project budget;
f. information on all other sources of funding the organization is seeking or planning to use to pay for the projectg. an accounting of the overhead costs the organization expects to incur in carrying out the grant and what percentage of the grant funds would go to paying overhead costs. By District law, no grant can be used to pay overhead costs that exceed 15% of the total amount of the grant request. the expected timetable for completing the proposed project;
- A representative of the organization requesting the grant must present the request to the Commission at a regular public meeting, outlining the elements of the grant application (above), before the Commission can consider a motion to approve the grant application.
- By majority vote of the Commissioners in attendance at the public meeting at which the grant request is considered for approval, the Commission may approve the full amount of the grant request, approve a grant for a portion of the grant request, or deny the grant.
- The Commission’s consideration of grants for approval shall include the following factors: the organization’s intended use of funds, with preference given to grant requests for specific projects or items to be funded with the grant rather than requests seeking general program support; the number of individuals who live and work in or near ANC 3B who will benefit from the grant; whether the organization is located in or near ANC 3B; the needs of the organization for the funds, considering its overall finances and other potential sources of funds; the organization’s prior history with management of ANC 3B grants; the amount of time that has elapsed since the last ANC 3B grant to the organization.
- Organizations may not receive more than $2,500 in ANC 3B grants in any fiscal year (October 1 of one calendar year through September 30 of the following year).
- Grants may not be used for partisan political activity or litigation.
- Within sixty (60) days of receiving the grant, a grant recipient must forward to ANC 3B a written statement showing how it has used the funds, consistent with the grant application, with receipts supporting all expenditures. Any grant funds not spent within the 60 days shall be returned to ANC 3B no later than the 60th day after the organization receives the grant, unless prior to the 60th day the organization submits to ANC 3B a written request for an extension. An extension may be approved for no more than thirty (30) days.
- An organization that does not follow the terms of the grant or these grant guidelines may be excluded from future ANC 3B grants.
- Organizations may apply for additional grants within the same fiscal year if further funds are needed for similar or different projects to benefit the Commission area; however, the combined total amount of all the grants that one organization receives from ANC 3B in one fiscal year can in no case exceed $2,500.
To ask questions or submit a grant request, please firstname.lastname@example.org